Colton's Connections

Welcome to my E-Portfolio

About Me

Hello, welcome to my website! To help you get a bit of a picture about me, I have compiled a few icebreaker questions and answers to share a few of my personal interests.

Do you love learning from home or would you rather be in class? Is there a balance of both that you like best?

I enjoy learning in a classroom environment over online virtual classes. I believe that, especially in this profession, teachers need to build strong connections with their colleagues. One significant way for a teacher/student to do that is to interact with others daily within a group setting (mainly in a classroom). I do believe that if we could go back full time, I would go in a heartbeat; however, due to COVID restrictions wearing a mask every day would be difficult. For me, the balance would be going back for all classes, presuming the COVID 19 pandemic blows over.

What’s the hardest part about working virtually for you? The easiest?

The hardest part about working virtually for me would be feeling isolated and detached from my colleagues and co-workers. As we are social beings I find the missing social interactions and distinguishable body language make it harder to connect with people on a deeper level. The easiest part about working virtually is the convenience, getting up and making breakfast to sitting at my desk takes not more than 30 seconds.

Where do you work most frequently from at home? Your office? Your kitchen table? The backyard? Your bed?

When working at home, since I do live in an apartment, would be at my desk, I’ve never been one to work from in bed or on the couch etc. so one hundred percent of work is done at my desk.

Be honest, how often do you work from bed?

Never.

What did you eat for breakfast?

This morning, I had three sunny side up eggs, a bowl of cheerios and three bacon pieces.

What does your morning routine look like when working from home?

My morning routine when working from home involves me getting up, making my bed, freshening up and putting on clothes, then coming into the kitchen to make breakfast, fill up my water bottle and then I am ready for a new day.

What’s your number one tip for combating distractions when working from home?

My number one tip for combating distractions when working from home is if you’re a person who gets easily distracted, move your device, whatever that may be, into a separate room. By eliminating the problem, it removes the urge to want to look at it when a new message or notification pops up

How do you stay productive and motivated working virtually?

When working virtually, a way that I stay productive is through an app called Things 3. This app is a Mac app that is essentially a project-based to-do list. By integrating this into my daily routine, I’m able to stay on top of my assignments or any housekeeping I need to be done, along with having some spare time for myself. Also, getting a walk or run integrated into the day to get some fresh air definitely helps me refocus upon returning to the computer.

How many cups of coffee, tea, or beverage-of-choice do you have each morning?

Fun fact about me, I have never had a cup of coffee in my life. I do enjoy the occasional tea, but that is usually when I am feeling ill. My drink of choice in the morning is either water or orange juice.

Are you an early bird or night owl?

Night Owl. Something about when darkness hits the world and everything seems togo to sleep is when I find myself the happiest and most relaxed. Of course, I do have to tweak that being in the education profession and getting up before school. But, if I had my choice, I would rather stay up later than be up early.

© 2024 Colton's Connections